Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Two For Two!

Yay! Two posts in two days! Wow. If anybody actually sees this, they might be impressed.

So, here's my question: why is it that every day I'm stuck at work turns out to be beautiful?

See, our scheduling at East Hill is always by reservation. You have to go online to the special site, check availability, and sign up to use the plane on a given date and time. They tend to fill up fast, too, so you have to go several days in advance, if not weeks. So you sign up and hope that the day will be decent enough to fly. Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. That's just the way the world works.

Well, as I said in my last (first?) post, I'm working on cross-country flying. That takes a good, long while. So the only time I really have to do these flights is on weekends, when I'm not working. Well, those two days haven't been the most cooperative of late. Meanwhile, on the nice days (like today), I'm stuck at work. Have I mentioned that I work in a basement? With no windows? Yeah. That part of the job really sucks. Don't get me wrong - it's a good job. Good pay, benefits, good hours, and decent kinds of jobs to do. And even the "no windows" thing is okay - it keeps me from getting all distracted, I guess. But still - I'm not exactly able to get out and enjoy the nice weather all too often, and we Ithacans know that nice weather is too rare to be ignored!

So here's my solution: I have vacation days that I haven't used, and no real plans to use them. So, whenever the weather outlook is for fair weather and favorable flying conditions, I'm going to see if I can get the plane. If I can get the plane, I'm taking the day off of work. They can handle it without out me for a day or two here and there. Besides, it's still summer (for another month. Ish.), and things are going pretty slow.

I'm putting this plan into action tomorrow morning. I'm taking the day off. I've got the plane reserved, the weather looks to be in the 90s, and they're saying winds will be fairly light. Here's hopin'.

I'll let you know how it goes, of course.

No comments: